Gentoo Council Elections Archives
Gentoo Council Elections
Gentoo Council elections Rules
Election rules (based on GLEP 39):
- Council elections generally happen once a year
- The council is composed of seven elected members
- Nominations are allowed for 15 days.
- Only Gentoo developers may be nominated
- Anyone can nominate (nominating yourself is OK)
- Nominees must accept their nomination before voting begins
- Voting is opened for 15 days.
- Only Gentoo developers that have joined the project before nomination starts may vote
- Condorcet method of voting is used
There should be at least three officials for this election plus one Gentoo
Infrastructure project member assigned to it to handle their side of the
process. Officials are allowed to vote in the election but aren't allowed to run
in it. Nominating and accepting nominations should happen on the
gentoo-dev mailing list.
Condorcet method of voting
For both Foundation and Council elections, Condorcet method of
voting is used to count votes.
To cast votes in the Council election we use the program named votify
which is installed on dev.gentoo.org.
Instructions on how to use votify to cast a vote:
- If you're eligible to vote in that election, log in to dev.gentoo.org
- Type votify --new election-name to create a new ballot file
Edit .ballot-election-name file in your home directory and rank
Once you're finished, use votify --verify election-name command to
verify the validity of your ballot file
If everything is okay, use votify --submit election-name to submit
your vote for the election. Don't forget your vote doesn't count until
you submit it.
If you run into problems, you can either work them out yourself using
votify --help or contact election officials and ask them for help
Gentoo Council election pages
The voting distribution is a graphical depiction of how the voters ranked each
candidate, with the height of each column representing how many people ranked
each candidate in a certain position. The left edge indicates high ranks, and
the right edge indicates low ranks.
The voting distribution histograms were generated using a ruby script courtesy
of Ciaran McCreesh.
The contents of this document, unless otherwise expressly stated, are licensed under the CC-BY-SA-2.5 license. The Gentoo Name and Logo Usage Guidelines apply.