All of our channels are managed by volunteers for the mutual benefit of users and contributors alike, and we consider IRC to be open to everyone. Please feel free to pop in and introduce yourself, and consider it a resource for when you run into problems or have questions about Gentoo Linux.
Our channels are present on the freenode IRC network.
irc.gentoo.org is a convenience alias to their servers.
We ask very little of users visiting our support channels:
- Please act sensibly and maturely, abiding by the Code of Conduct.
- Please read the topic when entering a channel, it contains valuable information!
- Bots or scripts that talk or create public logs are not welcome in most channels. If in doubt, please ask.
- Please do not use CTCP VERSION or the like on users/channels without their consent.
#gentoo – Our Main IRC Support Channel
Got a question? #gentoo is here to help.
With more than 1,000 connected users, it is one of the largest channels on freenode, and it focuses on Gentoo support.
To ensure an optimal support environment, there are a few additional guidelines in place. These are the most important ones:
- We operate a clean-language policy in #gentoo, and swearing is not permitted.
- We are unable to support alternate package managers in #gentoo, just Portage.
- Users of derivative distributions based upon Gentoo are asked to use their distribution's support venues, we can not provide them with assistance.
Besides #gentoo, we also operate a number of other channels: Full Gentoo IRC Channel Listing